Are you ready to chase down leaks? Fix a Leak Week, sponsored by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense® program, takes place in March. The program encourages families to check the interior and exterior of their home for water leaks and drips in places such as the kitchen, bathroom or yard.
Spend 10 minutes walking your home checking for leaks, or do one thing each day for a couple minutes:
- Check your water bill for January or February; if a family of four uses more than 7,000 gallons of water in a month, you may have a leak.
- Walk through your house listening for running toilets and looking for drips. Drips usually mean leaks.
- Use pipe tape or a wrench to ensure tight connections where showerheads attach.
- Check faucet washers and gaskets for wear and replace them if necessary.
- Place a drop of food coloring in the toilet tank. If the color shows up in the bowl within a few minutes, you may need a new flapper. Flush afterward to avoid staining the tank.