Water Conservation Ordinance
The guidelines in the Water Conservation Ordinance are intended to conserve water and extend the life of existing infrastructure by minimizing the stress on the system caused by the peak demand of summer water usage. By using water wisely, we can help delay infrastructure expansion (primarily water treatment facilities and delivery systems) and the need for additional water resources (buying additional water rights to existing reservoirs or building new reservoirs). Outdoor water usage can be more than 50% of our total summer water use. By controlling this use we can minimize its impact on our current infrastructure and future expansion.
THE CONSERVATION ORDINANCE OUTDOOR WATERING GUIDELINES
- Maximum twice-weekly watering allowed according to address (see chart below).
- Don’t water your yard between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. between April 1 and October 31.
- Hand water or use a soaker hose. Both are permitted on any day.
- Maintain your sprinkler system. Repair any broken, missing or misdirected sprinkler heads.
- Automatic sprinkler system owners are required to have rain and freeze sensors installed.
- Don’t water during any form of precipitation.
- Don’t allow your sprinkler system to water driveways, sidewalks and streets.
- Don’t waste water by allowing runoff onto a street or other drainage area when you’re watering.
Violations of these outdoor water guidelines can result in fines of $250 to $2,000 per incident. First offenses will be issued a warning.
RESOURCES FOR BRINGING YOUR SPRINKLER SYSTEM UP TO CODE
- For a list of licensed irrigators, visit the website of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality licensed individuals search page.
MONITOR YOUR TOTAL WATER USAGE
Dallas has a conservation tiered rate system. This means the more water used, the higher rate you pay within a tiered structure. Monitoring your usage every month also helps you detect possible leaks.
Be sure to check the City’s Building Inspection Irrigation website for any City or State requirements for your irrigation system.